Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Winter Deep


I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays and stayed warm. I anxiously completed my final exams and papers and our semester was finally over. Now I registered for four classes to fulfill my scholarship requirements. This semester I am going to take ED 201, ED 204, EDSE 422, and JRN 308. The excited part was that I only had three more courses to take but I took extra to fulfill my scholarship through LKSD. I have to have 12 credits in order to qualify for LKSD. It also ties me down to LKSD for five years after I graduate and become a certified teacher. Ala-i, I am getting nervous about my intern year! I feel like I'm dumbfounded and unable to believe that I'm almost done. What if I'm not a good teacher? What if I'm not ready? These thoughts have been on my mind for quite a while now. I love teaching and being with students at my work, but what about in a classroom? I had the pleasure of teaching kindergarten as an associate teacher one year, and I wasn't pleased with myself because I was dull. For one thing, I can't sing and another thing I don't play. Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade students learn from playing and singing. Now that I have thought about the grade levels I think I want to teacher 3rd through sixth grade students. I really need to find a mentor teacher to do my internship year with. I am going to be placed anywhere if I don't find a mentor teacher. I have had a few in mind but they are out of town or away from their desks. Believe me, I'm saving it for the last to find one. I'm scared!

3 comments:

skipvia said...

Susie, you're going to be an absolutely fabulous teacher. You have all of the skills and you really care about kids. It's normal to feel nervous, even scared. I felt that way just about every day I walked into the classroom. I had (and still have, actually) dreams about losing control and doing something stupid. I think it's because we invest so much of ourselves in the profession.

You'll be fine. Keep in touch and let us know how it's going.

Rural Teacher said...

Hi Susie! It was so good to hear you at our earlier audio conference with Phyllis and the other lady! I know you will do good - doubts are what makes us more aware of ourselves and our goals. You will do good! Keep up the good work and don't let your doubts stall your progress.

KendraKrenz said...

Hi Susie,
Your in the same boat as I am, I am also taking 13 credits because of my scholarships from other sources.(AVCP,Calista, etc.) I am taking ED 110,ED 201, EDSE 422, ED 410 and Math 206.
It's nice to know most of the students I met are in most of my classes I am taking this semester.
Good Luck! I can see you will be a good Yup'ik teacher. Hang in there!