Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I started teaching Yup'ik 1st and 2nd grade last year. It has been a learning experience for me. I was kinda second guessing myself when I first started. I had to learn how to think down to their level. It was a big change. I taught English third grade transitioning into the English program from the Yup'ik program. Now I am a teacher who is teaching Yup'ik. I had struggled a lot when I first started. I didn't know where to start and what to do. I had to start from scratch. I am so thankful for the informing instruction class through assessments that I took from Carol Barnhardt. They trained me well. Now into my second year, thanks to the CORE reading instruction I think I know more of what I'm doing. Besides the younger age level I learned that the younger the students are, is when it is most easiest to teach reading. I just love it when they finally get it. I think it clicks later on. I had four boys that didn't know their Yup'ik alphabet and finally after Christmas break they finally got it. Did they finally need a mental break from me? Did they need to rest more? I don't know, but I was so happy to see them progress so much after the break. Besides all this I am content right now. I am a mom now most of the time. I feel like I neglected my own children for so long. That is the sad part, but besides this I hope they forgive me. It was hard but I made it. All I need is a little understanding from my own home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
skipvia said...

Hi Susie;
Nice to hear from you and to hear that your teaching career is underway and going well. It's a continuing growth experience. You'll learn more each year.

By the way--I've always loved your blog photo of the rainbow.

Aanaq Nick- Back at Home said...

Hi Skip,
Yes, I actually learn every day. :) Rainbow always helps me to visualize my goals.

Susie