Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Moose Hunting


This is Aaron N. He is 14 yrs old and he just recently came back from moose hunting for two weeks. I called his school and told the home/school coordinator that he is going out hunting with his uncle-in-law and will come home after they catch a moose. Aaron was excused for two weeks at our school, because he went subsistence hunting. I was wondering if I should allow him to go or not because he would miss so much instruction. I was ignoring the fact he would get subsistence instruction from my brother-in-law and instruction in survival skills out in the woods. Although they didn't catch a moose I was happy to see him home. Back to noise in my little house with the sound of electric guitar and music which he likes to play. He mentioned he learned how to cook soup with rice and salt. I was so happy to hear that because this is another skill needed in life, regardless if he's a boy. Navigation is another key factor, because I want him to take me upriver when he's of age to go on his own. This weekend they are planning to go for just the weekend for punking, and I hope they get lucky getting a moose. Aaron loves to hunt, and I am so happy he does hunt because he is carrying on our tradition and lifestyle of subsisting from our land.

2 comments:

skipvia said...

I think you got it exactly right when you said that subsistence is also instruction, and it's instruction that is not only a survival skill but is also a way to connect with culture and tradition. I worry sometimes that we neglect to teach all of our kids important life skills--cooking, managing money, etc. I'm glad to hear that Aaron was able to participate in both school and subsistence activities.

Anonymous said...

Hello from Russia!
Can I quote a post "No teme" in your blog with the link to you?