Monday, October 22, 2007

Head's Up!!!

Hello Everyone,
Our high school gym is very tiny. The three point lines are touching, literally saying. Some people say "Do you have fun in this gym?" Regardless of the size, the kids have a blast and especially if you make it exciting. I like to play basketball with the students, and it's so much fun especially if you play with budding stars. This is part of the after school program and right now they are playing basketball. The first thing you hear when we enter the gym after tutoring is either "Shoot Up!" or "Bump Out!" You shoot up to see who the first two people make it in and who get to choose teams, and then when you play bump out you line up and shoot consecutively until someone bumps out someone by making a basket before the person in front of you makes it. This is good exercise especially when kids are computerized these days during our tutoring and during their time at home. It's not all TV anymore.

Now that Native Youth Olympics and Wrestling had begun the season, I am lacking boys. For the past two or three weeks, I had no boys for tutoring. Sometimes it can get frustrating and I think it's about time I changed my scheduling to the evenings. I will keep you all posted as to what's happening and to see if my attendance is up again.

2 comments:

skipvia said...

Thanks for the picture. I was surprised to find out that the basketball court was not of the standard size. It must make fast breaks really fast.

darleneulak said...

Hi Sue,
so interesting to see the size of your gym, how big is your school, k-12?
Are you on your own when you schedule tutoring? I mean, are you able to change schedules to have more students come in?
Sounds like your in shape to keep up with the students. I tried playing with 8th graders, but I ended up standing around. They are too quick to keep up with, but it was fun, I havent' played ball since Mar. or Apr. of last spring. Good to hear from you. Take Care