Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Quiet Times Sometimes

This is a picture of some of the pumpkins that were in the class pumpkin contest. The Pumpkin with the grass hair won the annual prize for the best pumpkin. My daughter's class had won the contest this year.

Our community had just had a loss a couple of days ago. My childhood friend's Dad passed away from cancer. It's been so quiet here and I have been feeling for the family. I can remember when my own father died. It's so sad to experience it again, especially for a friend you care about.

When there is a death in our village, they have a viewing at the family's house. The graveyard is an island separated with a lake and slough, so I am trying to figure how they are transporting to the grave site. The weather has been so warm, and the ice is extremely thin to travel on. The families from Kasigluk, AK and Nunapitchuk, AK ,although close, had to come in with the airlines. There is no road system connected to the villages because it's tundra country. We have to travel by boat in the summer and snowmachines during the winter. Unfortunately, during this season they travel with the airlines, and it's not cheap. My deep condolensces to the family of the Nicholai's here in Atmautluak, and I think of you in my prayers.

1 comment:

skipvia said...

I'm sorry to hear about your community's loss. Like you, I remember my own father's death and what a difficult that was for me and my family.

Thanks for the great photo of the pumpkin carving contest. Those are great ones.