Saturday, November 17, 2007

Warm Weather and Raging Waters


My snow machining hasn't started yet this winter. The weather has been so warm. The snow over the ice, isn't good at all. Especially because it insulates the ice, and isn't able to get as thick as it should during this time of the year. People have been going to Bethel back and forth, but it's extremely dangerous. The trail between Atmau, Nunap, and Kasigluk isn't common yet and I think we have to wait until it's super stiff. So frustrating, because it's usually safe by the time it's Thanksgiving.

The river was dotted with people that were jigging for fish, but I guess it's been too flooded to catch anything. Usually they have nets too, but I haven't seen any. Talk about global warming, it affects the fishing season. Even during the summer, they have to check the white fish nets more frequently than they do, because the water gets so warm now and for a longer period of time. But other than that, our fishing season was pretty good.

November has been a very challenging month for me, especially at work. It's hard when you try to make things better for your students but recieve no support. I'll try to remember that when I get to have my own teacher aide. I as a person, makes me no better than anyone else in our work settings. Sometimes it can be hard to remind myself that if there's no support, I have to take things into my own hands. I am so frustrated. My son reminded me that there is someone watching over me while I feel like I'm a ship being tossed out in the raging sea. I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that even though things aren't working out at work or at school your family is there to stick it out with you and there is no better person to talk to than with someone who is already there.

1 comment:

skipvia said...

I was very interested in your comments about the late freeze up and mild temperatures. We're experiencing that in Fairbanks as well. October was not warm, but it was not at all cold. October can get quite cold--down to 30 below and colder--bit it has rarely even been down to zero. We haven't had much snow, either. It's not a weather pattern that I like. I'd rather have more snow, for sure.

Id anyone else finding that their freeze up is late and not very deep?